Bright Start Therapy’s Social Smarties program is a group social skills program that is based on concepts from the “You are a Social Detective!” Social Thinking program.
Humans are all social detectives as we observe, gather and make sense of the clues in different social contexts (settings, situations and the people in them) to figure out the hidden rules for expected behaviours, as well as to understand how we each feel and think about what others say and do.
During our Social Smartie program, students:
- Learn formulas for gathering clues by observing a situation, the people, and what’s happening.
- Learn to identify feelings and emotions and connect them to behaviours.
- Are empowered to figure out how the social world works through their own detective lens.
- Understand that all feelings are okay, even uncomfortable ones, and we can still learn and grow.
- Have numerous opportunities to make smart guesses about various situations.
Throughout the program, children will learn the above concepts and have plenty of opportunities to practise them within their small groups. This program is a stand-alone in itself, however also forms the pre-requisite for those wanting to continue on with Bright Start Therapy’s Superflex Training Academy group program below.