Parents, Teachers and Guardians are our children’s best experts and are most able to identify if there is a problem with meeting their developmental milestones. A referral for OT at Bright Start should be made if your child is having difficulty in any of the following areas:
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Learning difficulties
- Regulatory difficulties in sensory, behavioural and emotional regulation
- Visual Perception: hand/eye coordination, visual tracking and scanning, balance
- Functional skill difficulties: feeding, toileting, dressing, doing buttons/zippers, brushing teeth and hair, tying shoe laces, sleep etc.
- Fine Motor Difficulties: in hand manipulation, motor planning, grasp on toys, on cutlery and objects in general, and handwriting
- Gross Motor Difficulties: in sequencing, spatial awareness, motor planning and coordination
- Sensory Processing difficulties: a child’s ability to process and interpret sensory stimuli either with an over-reactive or under-reactive response to sensation
- Sensory Integration difficulties relating to sensory inputs: touch, sound, sight, smell, taste and also sensations that relate to body awareness and movement
- Emotional regulation
Sometimes a child may require professional advice and intervention. Occupational Therapy intervention may be just a short-term burst or an ongoing process to build skills and allow your child to gain the confidence they need to maximise their own potential and reach their goals.
If you are worried about your child’s development, please call and we will be happy to discuss your child’s needs with you. Our Occupational Therapists will work with you and your child to determine both the child and family’s needs and develop goals and a treatment plan to assist those needs. We are also happy to educate other professionals involved with your child as we believe strongly in a collaborative approach to therapy.